- Most TODOs live in the TODO section of doc/file.man (i.e. file(1)).
- They are more visible there, so please add any further TODOs to that
- file, not here. More speculative material can live here.
- (This change was made when Reuben Thomas noticed that all the bugs
- listed in the BUGS section of the man page had been fixed!)
- It would be nice to simplify file considerably. For example,
- reimplement the apprentice and non-pattern magic methods in Python,
- and compile the magic patterns to a giant regex (or something similar;
- maybe using Ragel (http://www.complang.org/ragel/)) so that only a
- small amount of C is needed (because fast execution is typically only
- required for soft magic, not the more detailed information given by
- hard-wired routines). In this regard, note that hplip, which is
- BSD-licensed, has a magic reimplementation in Python.