- $Id: MAINT,v 1.4 2000/04/11 02:43:51 christos Exp $
- Maintenance notes:
- I am continuing to maintain the file command. I welcome your help,
- but to make my life easier I'd like to request the following:
- - Don't change the version numbers!
- If your changes are extensive, I will have to work hard to
- integrate them into my version. If you check it into SCCS locally,
- the version numbers will likely be kept. IF you check it into RCS
- or CVS locally, please use -k to keep the version numbers, and
- please use branch deltas (1.21.1, 1.21.2, ...). If you don't do
- this, I will likely be unable to use your changes; life's just too
- - Do not distribute changed versions.
- People trying to be helpful occasionally put up their hacked versions
- of the file command for FTP, then the "archie" server finds and publishes
- the hacked version, and people all over the world get copies of it.
- Within a day or two I am getting email from around the world
- asking me why "my" file command won't compile!!! Needless to say this
- detracts from the limited time I have available to work on the actual
- software. Therefore I ask you again to please NOT distribute
- your changed version.
- Thank you for your assistance and cooperation.
- Christos Zoulas